An extension of Watching Apocalypse

Bernays Expressionist

dleet

Bernays Expressionist

Post by dleet on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:03 pm

There is a propaganda exercise in place I have never seen before and Dean used a very original tactic in it. He set loose a rumor based on the other candidate's health. He's a medical doctor so an expert, like the ones prepaid by fox to spout nonsense about their fields of experience and/or expertise before they were consultants on fox's payroll.

The rumor he set loose was as ridiculous as the rumor-mongering about Clinton's health. Samantha Bee's show had a Trump voter say Hillary was wearing kevlar, and a catheter and special lotion because she is so ill (fox rumor) and  so afraid of being shot because she's criminal I guess.  Anyhow, I like that Dean was playing them at their own game without even appearing to be playing a game. It's the game fox and Trump started. It is their rules because it's their game, and their umpires and refs. aka online polls. Mainstream media is kind of cautious, downplaying it, but seeking comments from the campaign, especially about surrogates.
    [ed: I came back to correct my mixed metaphors of game and theater, but Chess was a theater production so we can do choreography with right bower, left bower, and trump (Euchre)  in the current political theater production, no?]

This marketing campaign or theater production using new media requires some independent actors like Dean. He endangered no one and got the ridiculousness of the Clinton health rumors media coverage the day after she answered questions about and showed examples of stamina, and it cost nothing. It was also a turnabout's fair play tactic, but subtle.

I wrote this like a theater review rather than a campaign but it's a psychological campaign Eddie Bernays' influence on the art form of PR and A&P is why this type of art is both original and a style. Bernays was original, and Expressionism is a style. One could almost say it was a self-portrait because Trump represents Bernays better than even PT Barnum, and is definitely expressive. The Trump campaign and life is a Bernays self-portrait in an Ayn Rand frame.

Last edited by dleet on Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
    dleet

Re: Bernays Expressionist

Post by dleet on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Media expert on tv journalism and the PR industry it created.   At 24 minutes Jon says the media rather than predator and prey, have become the scavengers hanging on the political sharks for crumbs or even secretions of unknown origin or contents (or context) that are willingly consumed. Another perspective is entertainment is big, sports competition and games are always rating winners, but their natural flaw for those covering them is that they end. The political bouts never end because even post election the fights' venues shift to the handlers, strategists, and spin to keep the fight/election going. Sadly, since truth died, or at least the definition did so it is on life support, there are more gullible vulnerable souls than ever. Chest pounding Law and Order BS turns into modern day lynching with stand-your-ground, stop & frisk, and privatized probationary debt prisons. Does anybody know or care?

The interview is a good social science summary of current events, the way they're covered, and those affected. Stewart did bring more change in social attitudes when he became the number one news source for University students. They really are the future and they are decent. Maybe their hideous debt burden was imposed on purpose. That demographic is also majority independent. Will both parties seek to woo them by targeting loan debt? Liz Warren, Bernie, and now Clinton are making the issue more public, with viable solutions, too. However, their party helped the indebted become the indentured. Did they push this group into the quicksand and suddenly appear to save the day? Munchausen syndrome by proxy sounds more like the psychopath's tactic to me.

NC had their voting discrimination law struck down. Had a gop judge been on the court that rendered the decision, those blacks targeted would not be voting, just as Roberts planned. Blacks and college students have both been targeted by the gop for voting impediments that no other groups must suffer. If the scotus goes two or three more right wing, voting rights are gone, conflicts needing tort law or civil law will be denied access to courts, binding arbitration procedures run by the sheriff will be the norm. Sovereign citizens only recognize the sherif as the legitimate voice of the law. (16th century England? I mean besides Nottingham).
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:02 am

dleet wrote:There is a propaganda exercise in place I have never seen before and Dean used a very original tactic in it. He set loose a rumor based on the other candidate's health. He's a medical doctor so an expert, like the ones prepaid by fox to spout nonsense about their fields of experience and/or expertise before they were consultants on fox's payroll.

The rumor he set loose was as ridiculous as the rumor-mongering about Clinton's health. Samantha Bee's show had a Trump voter say Hillary was wearing kevlar, and a catheter and special lotion because she is so ill (fox rumor) and  so afraid of being shot because she's criminal I guess.  Anyhow, I like that Dean was playing them at their own game without even appearing to be playing a game. It's the game fox and Trump started. It is their rules because it's their game, and their umpires and refs. aka online polls. Mainstream media is kind of cautious, downplaying it, but seeking comments from the campaign, especially about surrogates.
    [ed: I came back to correct my mixed metaphors of game and theater, but Chess was a theater production so we can do choreography with right bower, left bower, and trump (Euchre)  in the current political theater production, no?]

This marketing campaign or theater production using new media requires some independent actors like Dean. He endangered no one and got the ridiculousness of the Clinton health rumors media coverage the day after she answered questions about and showed examples of stamina, and it cost nothing. It was also a turnabout's fair play tactic, but subtle.

I wrote this like a theater review rather than a campaign but it's a psychological campaign Eddie Bernays' influence on the art form of PR and A&P is why this type of art is both original and a style. Bernays was original, and Expressionism is a style. One could almost say it was a self-portrait because Trump represents Bernays better than even PT Barnum, and is definitely expressive. The Trump campaign and life is a Bernays self-portrait in an Ayn Rand frame.
    Expressionism is a movement in the arts to present the world from a subjective perspective involving intentional distortion for emotional effect.

Public Relations as an expressionist art form does make some sense.  Then we go from life as art to politics as art.
    dleet

Post by dleet on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:36 am

I was working on a card with the spirit of a quote that fit the card. I think the lower right sounds better.
    [/img][/url]
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:35 am

A couple of provocative thoughts about art, artistic mindfulness, and, well, implications of what is not.

Brainwashing as an artistic creation of authoritarian leadership, or, applying that technique to a population to create an effect as an art form:

Religion: Brainwasing the kids since the Bronze Age

Someone like Donald Trump, say, could be seen as an artist.

Can a committee (like the Creel Committee from the Wilson Administration), or a management group of an institution (like the DLC), be considered artistic?  In which case Hillary Clinton can be seen as the iconic representation of such a group that sets about consciously brainwashing the population into believing that it is all taking part in this group activity of the Democratic Party that's set itself to keep America great and prosperous (while Trump artistically programs his group that he's going to make America great again), just as it has been doing throughout the Obama Administration.

Beyond Thought (Awareness Itself)

"Awareness itself is not what you think"....
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:54 am

Ok, I've been reading Kathleen Taylor's

In the above post I introduced a short pseudo documentary titled: Religion: Brainwashing the kids since the Bronze Age

In it she clarifies what she means by brainwashing:

Kathleen Taylor wrote:

Purpose

Brainwashing is a deliberate act; that is, intentional behaviour on the part of the brainwasher is part of the essence of brainwashing. This purpose may not be malicious—the brainwasher may sincerely believe that the victim will benefit from ‘re-education’—but judging an act as malicious depends heavily on perspective, so hostility is not the essential point. What matters is that the action is intended and carried out in order to change the victim. However, purposeful attempts to change someone’s mind do not in themselves constitute brainwashing, or the 1950s US authorities would have arrested every lawyer in the country (in an adversarial justice system such as America’s or Britain’s, changing the minds of jurors and judges plays a key role). What else is needed? We can distinguish three other important components of the concept of brainwashing.

Cognitive difference

The first is the strangeness of the new beliefs compared to the old. Imagine a fanatical football fan who claimed to have been brainwashed into believing that his team’s captain was in fact the best footballer in the world. He probably wouldn’t get much sympathy or interest. But a young American heiress who is kidnapped and then caught committing armed robbery is a different story. The discrepancy between Patty Hearst’s luxurious upbringing and the ideals of the Symbionese Liberation Army seemed so huge that brainwashing became a popular explanation at the time of her trial.

It is also worth noting that the newly acquired beliefs of a brainwashing victim may or may not be ‘sensible’ beliefs to hold in their current environment. For prisoners in Chinese thought-reform camps, adopting the prevalent (Communist) belief system was the only way out of extreme deprivation and torture. Yet some continued publicly to maintain these ‘enemy’ beliefs even once they were back in the United States. Given the strength of feeling about anything Communist-related at the time, this was not a prudent way to behave. Beliefs acquired through brainwashing, like beliefs acquired by more routine methods, may not actually benefit the holder. In some cases they may be positively harmful.

Timescale

Beliefs and personalities change continually as people grow. My belief about the existence of Santa Claus is now diametrically opposed to the belief I had when I was young. Was I brainwashed by the adult world? No. I simply grew up, gradually accepting along the way that there was no such person as Santa Claus. But consider my friend Keith’s extremely strong belief in Christianity. If Keith were to vanish for a month and then reappear a fervent atheist I would suspect that someone had been exerting undue influence, whereas if I hadn’t seen Keith for ten years I would be much more likely to attribute the lapse to natural causes. In other words, the shorter the time of transition—between old and new beliefs—the more likely that some form of brainwashing has occurred.

Taylor, Kathleen (2006-07-27). Brainwashing: The science of thought control (pp. 10-11). OUP Oxford. Kindle Edition.

What I pulled from that video to illustrate with regards to that particular instance of home schooling, then, would not accurately fit this description.  We would need a different term.  Conditioning, might be more accurate.  Ongoing social and cultural conditioning to be more contextual about it.  This form of conditioning is immersive, and is what we all experience as we grow from infancy to eventual death.

Is there an antidote to the mind controlling aspects of cultural conditioning?  I think that's a very difficult question to answer.  Skepticism combined with rational thinking, key aspects involved in the scientific method, has been hoped to be such an antidote.  Skepticism has also proven to bring about doubt to that, at least in some minds, including mine.

I also included that documentary about awareness.  I don't know if that's an antidote.  I'd like to think it could be, but I can't claim any sense of certainty about it.

Thoughts?
    dleet

Post by dleet on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:53 am

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2016/01/ralston-saul-neo-liberalism-neo-conservatism-low-level-form-god-worship.html  Covers some of the misrepresented framing of figures deemed worthy of great praise. However they are simple cartoon creations that are not even close to the historical figures and their real beliefs. Burke's and Smith's  images are only in their minds since they quote but have never read them or their works.

I read of the 3% of USA's GDP  that was spent on the Marshal plan that started European civilization again. The debt was already about one and a half times the national GDP, but Ike knew of marginal tax rates and infrastructure. WW2 debts were still being paid off in 2007 in some circles. The interest rates now are so cheap, there could be massive repairs and Americorp projects galore, but that would help the country in a way that proves govt can work.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:55 am

The term 'distill' has both a technical and a metaphorical application.  You can condense for purity or simply condense.  That's in the first of the definitions that follow 'distill' in one of my dictionaries.  

Neoliberalism, then can be viewed as the metaphorical distillation of the philosophical body of thought known as liberalism.  Adam Smith, David Ricardo, James Maitland (author of the Lauderdale Paradox, or the paradox of wealth and ecological destruction), and others who began the body of thought we now call economics, were all writing in the liberal tradition back in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. 

Neoliberalism, as the term has come to be used in academia, condenses these liberal thinker's ideas and creates a distilled version.  But not necessarily a pure version.  Quite often the vocabulary itself is passed down to courtiers and politicians in a formulaic fashion without requiring that the users bother to read the historical origins from which they were borrowed.  One example of how it can be transferred is through the works of ideologues like Ayn Rand, with writings that replace the Bible in popularity like Atlas Shrugged, backed by philosophically jargoned works like the Virtue of Selfishness that turn the morality of those early liberal thinkers into a monstrous form, while claiming it's related. It's through that distillation process that the body of globalist economic thought prevalent today became neoliberalism.  At least a few people in academia recognized it was not liberalism by any stretch of the imagination.  So they began to stick 'neo' in front of it.

The result of distilling historical ideas into a creed can be a distortion, as well as an actual Frankenstein-like transformation, of the deeper philosophical thoughts.  When applied as a policy on a social and moral scale, in a distilled and uncomplicated (ie, sound bite, tweeted) form, the resultant concepts are far removed from the early economists who were speculating about the very meaning of social wealth and how it can be shared.

People who never bothered to read the classics, never troubled to understand those early thinkers, are not being brainwashed when they go to universities to 'learn' Hayek and Friedman style economics, they are being 'artistically' programmed in the style of Eddie Bernays expresssionism.
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:43 am

In the Bernays' documentary posted under Heil Eddie, consumption is the key to manipulation based on feeling. You don't have to build a better mousetrap or even one that can catch mice, as long as people feel confident or good about the product they buy. Since the primary products the US economy is based on are within the entertainment field it follows that entertainment and play have a bigger bearing on our social behavior than some realize. Currently, a WWE patron, promoter, and participant is due to occupy the WH. The fighters and bombers that buzz the football games that are militaristic battles, as well as games, make perfect partners.   https://www.amazon.com/Wonderland-Play-Made-Modern-World-ebook/dp/B01CZCW2PQ/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CBY92A66FFQ9N5NH9624 I don't want to play anymore, I've had enough fun.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:08 am

After my ten year hiatus in the SF Bay Area and my move back up to Washington State -- shortly after GW Bush and the neocons got into the White House to give this paragraph a time stamp -- to resume my reclusive life style away from cities, I had time to myself again to pursue my artistic, abstract adventures, only now I also had the Internet, which had come into its own as a new kind of communication force during my hiatus.  One of the doors that opened for me in this new force was a kind of anthropological opportunity, as I saw it.  Since I had seldom watched television as a youngster -- I was too busy from 4:00 AM to bedtime doing farm chores for much of my most formative years growing up, and, anyway, I preferred to read, and we had, by sheer luck, a library of classics on hand that my father had once tried unsuccessfully to sell door to door -- I now had an opportunity to observe what it was that people were so absorbed by on that magic, glowing screen.  And, I could pick and choose as I saw fit.

Point is, I looked at what you are calling entertainment from the perspective of that imagined fictive curious being from another planet, not so much as someone being entertained, whatever that might mean.  One of the things I noticed was that it was a kind of mind candy, and an addictive mind candy at that, like sugar can be addictive in a population, making it fat, requiting dentist who make lots of money off the rotting teeth, and so forth, and that it was incredibly useful as a feature of consumption (advertising is sprinkled about like confetti at a wedding) but at the same time as a reinforcement of social norms in the stories that a population might tend to then take for granted without an ever present skeptical eye deconstructing what was going on, like say, for instance, a George Orwell.  It my help to be skeptical of one's society for some odd reason or two in order to notice this taking place.  But I notice that entertainment and skepticism seldom are served on the same platter.

In the capitalistic economic system of modern industrial-based civilization, consumption is an important part of the human-created ecology of that economy. There is, of course, the production aspect from which a surplus is derived, and within that a need for the ones involved in the production -- the minions, the workers we can call them -- to share enough of that surplus so that they can consume the products they help to produce (the system, the managers finally realized, works better if people aren't physically enslaved in chains when put to work, and it grows much faster, creates more wealth if the workers are paid and turned into willing consumers with some sort of abstraction called currency), and thus consumption must also continue on unabated, growing as the general wealth from the surplus production accumulates, never mind the capital borrowed from the future generations in many forms, much of which are the unpaid cost taken in resources and destroyed habitats from the environment. 

The documentary, as you point out, recognizes that some people in the upper management employed the Skinnerian behavioristic methodology on the population as a whole to get it to become addicted to its role as worker/consumer. 

If it could be called genius, that was Eddie Bernays unique contribution to the management class in recognizing how to do this programming (maybe in part thanks to the discoveries of certain principles in human behavior that his Uncle Freud uncovered and published in order to achieve his little script of fame for the family) while keeping the population relatively uninformed about what was happening to them while they consumed to their addicted heart's content.

Which brings me to this little blurb from your reference: Wonderland: How Play Made the Modern World

Steven Johnson is the bestselling author of ten books, including How We Got to Now, Where Good Ideas Come From, The Invention of Air, The Ghost Mapand Everything Bad Is Good for You. The founder of a variety of influential websites, he is the host and co-creator of the PBS and BBC series How We Got to Now. Johnson lives in Marin County, California, and Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and three sons.

Is this more mind candy?
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:27 pm

I have only read a sample, but it starts out in Baghdad, a city of over a million in the 7th century with aqueducts offering running water to the city dwellers of the time.
    Schopenhauer was writing about art vs music and he felt art was a reflection of the phenomena vs music which was the reality or noumena. They didn't have TV but they did have opera and could be dystopian enough to reflect his view that the most valued prize any human should want is to never have been born, 2nd choice was to die early. Life was only a fight from beginning to end in the mankind of the day, before such advances as the KKK, and drug gangs that are part and parcel of today's TV menu that may be more the reality than the reflection of the phenomena. Noumena is fleeting it seems if one does not pay attention to who is selling the image.

The skepticism can be served on the same platter as entertainment with a Sauce of Satire on toast points marinated in irony, and a side of sarcasm. It's actually often served as a surprise desert because it is remarkably sweet if the first biting bitterness is not rejected or choked on. 

I am kind of drawn to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspectivism and seek to see complexity in things sometimes not there, but if I know the artist or speaker and their own POV I can simplify many contradictions and absurdities.

Philosophical perspective as applied to art is in my comments on this piece. I have viewed another work differently than a critic of the second piece I commented on.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Here's what brought out my question:

Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation

Amazon blurb:

The printing press, the pencil, the flush toilet, the battery--these are all great ideas. But where do they come from? What kind of environment breeds them? What sparks the flash of brilliance? How do we generate the breakthrough technologies that push forward our lives, our society, our culture? Steven Johnson's answers are revelatory as he identifies the seven key patterns behind genuine innovation, and traces them across time and disciplines. From Darwin and Freud to the halls of Google and Apple, Johnson investigates the innovation hubs throughout modern time and pulls out the approaches and commonalities that seem to appear at moments of originality.

First of all, good and bad can be value judgements.  That may be all they can ever possibly be --  a human-created perspective about something humans believe they perceive. Someone has to trouble themselves to decide whether something is good or bad.  Otherwise it just is.  Why do humans trouble themselves with such decisions?

Assumptions within that Amazon blurb that I already knew well from experience would be there when I read the title of the book, as quoted in my previously quoted Amazon blurb, include the notion of:  not just good but even "great" ideas; so that raises the specter of a hierarchy of values, and in the description of the perspectivist game, a hierarchy of values is clearly a human invention.  And the list of innovations within this hierarchy can go on and on...

But what if the only real if unknowable perspective after we get through playing the perspective game is the ecological one? 

What if civilization is an ecologically destructive phenomenal fact for planet earth, even while, in the short run, civilized humans can see themselves in a positive light within this complex, dynamic and utterly human-created system they inhabit we call civilization?

What if that's true and humans are incapable of truly understanding the truth as objective fact? It wouldn't matter if we could understand it or not if its true. Such a hypothetically purely phenomenal world would be utterly and completely uncaring of what humans understand.

What if its phenomenal permutations will not only lead to the demise of the species that created and continue to create this phenomenon known as civilization, that pretty much includes all the humans on the planet, but many more innocent bystander species that have been busily evolving without the help of value judgements throughout the entire evolutionary process that created the biosphere as we know it?  In other words, what if nature bats last no matter what the game the humans are playing?

While the game of perspectivism, as introduced by Nietzshe, allows for a variety of ways of making a value judgement -- truth-oriented or whatever -- deciding from within this game that humans are incapable of knowing objective facts, nor able to know a thing-in-itself, has no bearing on the outcome of a process a species cannot know or understand. In that way of seeing (though for humans it can only ever be a speculation), how does one go about deciding what a good idea actually is?  Can a good idea be anything more than a game for humans to play at while the phenomenal world goes about doing what humans can never truly objectively know and understand?   Where does the need to place value on such questions originate?
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:27 am

http://www.theperspectivesofnietzsche.com/nietzsche/nchrist.html I like his view on Christian faith being a sacrifice of freedom, pride, all self-confidence of spirit, at the same time enslavement, self-mockery, and self-mutilation.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Useful-Things-Artifacts-Zippers-Came/dp/0679740392/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483276564&sr=8-1&keywords=invention+of+useful+things Forks were better than fingers when they were adopted (48 chromosome crowd aka chimps and some trump voters, still have trouble with evolution). I have this book at home and an Introducing Nietzche I took with me to FL for pleasure reading.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 am

dleet86 wrote:http://www.theperspectivesofnietzsche.com/nietzsche/nchrist.html I like his view on Christian faith being a sacrifice of freedom, pride, all self-confidence of spirit, at the same time enslavement, self-mockery, and self-mutilation.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Useful-Things-Artifacts-Zippers-Came/dp/0679740392/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483276564&sr=8-1&keywords=invention+of+useful+things Forks were better than fingers when they were adopted (48 chromosome crowd aka chimps and some trump voters, still have trouble with evolution). I have this book at home and an Introducing Nietzche I took with me to FL for pleasure reading.

Nietzche stimulated me to get into the existentialists' writings.  I had an extremely nasty experience with some evangelicals of the Bethany Bible Church stripe when I was 12.  After I recovered, I was reading some Nietzche, and he struck a tone in my thinking that helped me resolve what that experience meant for me.  From there, phenomenology and existentialism was a natural extension for exploring that tone.  By the way, James Baldwin's work was also helpful, maybe moreso, but in an entirely different way.  Sort of more as a direct connection to my subconscious and the inner rage that those religious fanatics had left me with.  Kind of like poking a pin in a blood blister to relieve the pressure and the blood just spurts out.

Evolution has a number of theoretical propositions, by the way, any one of which can be fervently believed or skeptically held in mind as possibilities.  I tend towards the latter.  Belief in anything, including evolution, can be a basis for developing religion for just about any human.  I have no way of finding out if chimpanzees have beliefs.  Some chimpanzees have learned to use sign language. I don't know them, I can't use sign language, so the conversation's never come up.
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:43 am

Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:00 am

I think this subject of economics as b.s. could also be in your "perspective" thread. 

To that end, I think the only perspective that really matters is the ecological one.  Of course, very few humans have the ecological knowledge skills required to develop such a perspective, so, while it matters, because as Guy McPherson has eloquently put it, "Nature Bats Last," humans will continue to develop these irrelevant perspectives within the various specialized compartments of our complex societies (economics being one utterly human-related perspective, and why it becomes bull shit when looked at from an ecological perspective) and we will continue on in our ignorantly myopic ways, lording over the specifics here and there, progressing to that point where Nature comes up to the plate in the bottom of the ninth and goes on an extended rally, so that the whole human race loses the game.
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:18 am

In the film the correlation between violence and Gini extremes is mentioned and in a facebook post I posited that violence is good for new market needs or fears. I notice very little violence at home, but a very favorable Gini coefficient might explain it and defend the notion mentioned in the film. In other words, inequality is good for the GDP because conflict creates its own self-perpetuating cycle. If people were happy and content, they would not spend and the country would be a failure because GDP would stagnate.
    btw, my kids cannot drink the FL water, it's wretched and I see more places in the country are going to premium water service for toll fees. The poor don't vote for the water barons so they get Flint style water service.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:51 am

As the narrator points out, and as has been quite obvious to those of us who bother ourselves to watch from an ecological perspective, the whole of modern global economics is based on the contradictory notions that inefficiency and nonsustainability are good principles to follow for capitalistic expansion, and capitalistic expansion is, therefore, tautologically good for all humans, who are now, incidentally, and therefore importantly growing as a body of consumers (to economists, anyway), and also, therefore, growing as a species in all habitats like a giant virus in the biosphere of this planet, causing what amounts to a 6th great extinction (and who cares about that?  I mean, what do all those species purchase, after all?  How do they contribute to "it's the economy, stupid!" as Clinton put it in 1992?).  War, of course, is an accelerated form of planned obsolescence.  If the planned obsolescence isn't destructive enough to increase consumption, then let's just go to war.  Yeah, that's the modern civilized human in a nutshell if you look at the 20th Century and especially at the influence of the U.S. on the world after WWII.

By the way, Michael Ruppert, who comes into this film at about 6:12 to talk about how the American Dream is based on rampant consumerism, committed suicide April 13, 2014.  Apparently it's not good for some people's mental health to think about these things.

Oh, and on the water issue...  Here in Washington State there's a moratorium on drilling rural wells to protect the water (Wells – licensing, construction and reporting).  A reasonably well off acquaintance of mine who'd recently bought some property near Yosemite discovered that the well had gone dry, due to the long and still ongoing drought, so they drilled another well, over seven thousand feet deep, and was fortunate enough to tap into an aquifer, so for now, at least, they have water.  That was not cheap, by the way.  Nothing's cheap in California. So it helps to be well off if you want to do anything there. A friend of mine here in Washington State wants to buy some property and build a house, but he can't, unless there's a working well on the property already, which is now becoming rare.  So while we have much more water in Washington State than California, he may have to emigrate to California where there's a very serious drought and increasing scarcity of water to buy his property to drill a well.  I'm sure that's good for the economy in some way or another that I'm just  not interested in figuring out.
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:26 pm

For a long term investment, desalination plants ought to be budgeted. When the breadbasket goes dry, maybe those states with 40 times the senate votes per population just might consider voting with CA and 83% of the country for once. Water and the keys to the source of it will be a political strong arm in the future, but only for the businesses that need water. The KS citizens and other red states can have Flint quality water or the water sewage from the Nobles in the new Feudal Manor, once treated will be drinkable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am