An extension of Watching Apocalypse

Democracy's wake has begun

dleet86

Democracy's wake has begun

Post by dleet86 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 pm

http://www.economist.com/news/essays/21596796-democracy-was-most-successful-political but has been fragile since the Powell memo. The very rich want the pentagon to take over and India has a similar desire among the young.
    http://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2015/12/18/9360663/is-democracy-in-trouble The young that were never taught civics but got all manner of derogatory descriptions of congress from reagan, and newt, and rush have been fed pablum their whole life, so of course authoritarianism sounds good to them but they really don't see behind the scenes of authoritarian states. Singapore is beautiful but there is a price for that.

When citizens lose faith in liberal democracy, they will eventually start to consider illiberal forms of government. This is beginning to happen. Most Americans are still horrified by the idea of living in an authoritarian regime, but the number of citizens who are open to some form of illiberal rule is going up. One of the most striking shifts we have seen concerns the number of Americans who think it would be a "good" or "very good" thing to "have the army rule." Twenty years ago, when the World Values Survey first asked this question, one in 15 Americans agreed with this sentiment. Today it's one in six.
    1 in 6 is about 17% and 25% of the country voted for an authoritarian. The other 8% are comprised of racists, xenophobes, and those that wanted the ACA instead of Obamacare.
    dleet86

Re: Democracy's wake has begun

Post by dleet86 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:03 pm

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mynewsdesk.com%2Fse%2Fmattiaslundberg%2Fblog_posts%2Fdaerfoer-aer-donald-trump-fullt-normal-53877  this is a translated version but an English one was published somewhere. A psycologists' protocol or assessment of tweets. No one needs to discern his tell because his tweets are an open book. I see another psychiatric team has determined his condition Malignant Narcisistic Disorder rather than Chronic Narcisistic Disorder. Chronic is treatable and Malignant is self explanatory.

ogun

Post by ogun on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:30 am

The wake of democracy really has ever been just a small ripple at might reach the shore after throwing a pebble far towards the middle of a glassine lake at any rate Dleet. I guess it only seems different now because we've only a pea stone to heave into the white crested choppy waters before us and we vainly wait for signs of it's wake to come back to shore.
    I never really had a very high opinion of mankind in general any ways but what ever tattered shreds of regard I had for the US became unraveled blowing away with the four winds over the stormy waters somewhere about 11:30 pm est on Nov. 8th. 
    Kevin Baker voiced some of my thoughts nicely here:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/opinion/sunday/the-america-we-lost-when-trump-won.html?ref=opinion

"And we shout our songs against the clang of electric guitars"......"and we can see million miles tonight but we can't get very far" (goodnight Mrs. Potter)
    Like you delete, ren and seemingly few others I only throw out messages in a bottle from the stormy coast line before turning my back to the wind to watch the churning waters from the alee of what I (really only) imagine as a shelter from the cyclone closing in.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:03 am

Something happened to my mind in early February of 1967.  Huh, that's nearly 50 years ago.  A few more days.  Calls to mind we humans are barely a blip in infinity.  As a species and as individuals.  If I am like my mother in some genetic way that includes my mind, then it could have been a schizophrenic break.  Probably was.  I did sort of go crazy according to the norms of my situation at the time.  And I did get institutionalized.  Fortunately they didn't do shock treatments and anti psychotic drugs to bring me around and I found a way to get by without ever being institutionalized again... that is, once I got out of the military in 1970.

The point I started out rambling about was how I was seeing the world from that moment, and what I was finally letting myself say to myself as I was crossing the Bay Bridge from Treasure Island to Oakland on that bus that took me from the Naval facility where they "processed me out" so to speak, in their lingo, like I was some kind of discardable machine.  I was saying to myself as I looked across the water to Alameda where I had been stationed on the U.S.S. Procyon, I am not a patriot.  It was that simple then, and, despite all the complex thoughts I've unraveled about it over the years in part to belay my tendency towards boredom, that simple now.

Humans, as a whole species, are not the most wonderful species on this planet.  I am told I have a tendency for dry understatement.  I don't hate the species, but I don't see it as such a wonderful species that most of its members think it is.  And it's capacity to transform itself with technological extensions that make it into all sorts of other creatures that can take over the ecosystems of the planet, that William R Catton insightfully recognized as prosthetics, can allow the species to become something else, that he also insightfully characterized as homo colossus, a creature larger than any before that stomps about crushing other species out of existence, leaving its gigantic footprints over the entire planet. Wanting to be and becoming that species is a choice that homo sapiens seem to have, whereas few other species don't actually have a conscious choice.  That choice, therefore, gives the species the opportunity to be moral and ethical about its existence on this planet. Or to not be. I doubt we could even talk about morality and ethics without the notion of choice.

It was pretty obvious to me as I sat on that bus as it drove along on the Bay Bridge towards the Oakland shore, with all the urban landscape spread out like the giant's splayed footprint before me, that the species had made its choice about being moral and ethical in its time on this planet. The entire war filled, death and destruction filled 20th Century up to that point was that choice.  And I was about to go through discovering just to what a degree of horror that choice was the very opposite of what I wanted it to be.  That's made me an outsider forever.

We now have probably the starkest metaphorical epitome of the end results of that moral and ethical human choice before us, and it's been made by a nation that has been pretending to be democratic, but has always been something else.  And I can't help but wonder: Can a species have a malignant narcissistic personality disorder?

I found Kevin Baker's thoughtful essay to in some ways comfortingly agree with what I'm seeing. Odd how we can find some sense of morality and dignity in individuals within a species that as a whole is taking over the biosphere of this planet like a plague. I did not, like so many who are finding revulsion in the results of the 2016 election, personally wake up in a different America on November 9, 2016.  I think that happened for me that day I woke up in my "rack" off the coast of Vietnam.  I still remember the moment of awakening vividly.  Of course I was not "in" America at that moment. But I was "in" one of its ships. And I was taking part in a very American thing at that moment.  A war on a peasant population, cultural extermination, etc., etc. To me "illegitimate" tacked onto such warring is going to be inevitably redundant. But it's also meaningless because the most powerful and narcissistic forces in the human species tend to decide what's legitimate.  All of that "activity" goes with the colonization of the indigenous peoples of the world that the Becoming of the Great American Exceptionalist experiment (as part of a broader globalizing process, perhaps only one of its more narcissistic expressions) is... and, honestly, has always been from long before that first moment three little wooden sailing ships, tinier than a modern, narcissistic billionaire's yacht, left Europe bound for India (speaking of India, Doug), for the ultimate purpose of finding a cheaper, more efficient trade route.  Rah rah for the capitalist revolution and all those whose entrepreneurial efforts brought it about, along with the Age of so-called Reason.

I've never had to physically leave the states after I got back from Vietnam in order to "become" an ex pat.  It was simply impossible for me to ever be a patriot.  I can't pretend it.

In regards to my above reference, here's a 2007 interview with William R. Catton looking back to his 1980 book Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change, ... a revolution which, of course, never took place.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 am