An extension of Watching Apocalypse

If awake in a bubble are you conscious? (first a joke)

dleet86

If awake in a bubble are you conscious? (first a joke)

Post by dleet86 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:20 pm

dleet86

Re: If awake in a bubble are you conscious? (first a joke)

Post by dleet86 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:25 pm

The joke was left on my copy file and it was easier to post it than delete.Life in a bubble
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't think this site's going anywhere, doug.

ogun

Post by ogun on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 am

Hello again world.
    I woke up yesterday (or was it the day before?) after about a week of what I'm told was as fine a case of pneumonia as had been seen. Feel'n pretty good now, still tire out easily but all in all can't complain too much I guess. So hello world, I'm back.
    Got some things to catch up just now then I'll attend to trying to get back to some writing I've been meaning for to find their way toward these pages. 
    Here's one of my favorite jokester for ya guys before I close for today. http://images.cryhavok.org/d/2713-1/Calvin+and+Hobbes+-+Intelligent+Life.jpg

Later guys.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Pneumonia... that one can get ya I hear.  My cousin gets pneumonia like other people get colds, but he's an exception I think.  Glad you came through it.

A friend of mine sent me this one today in my email, I thought, what the hell, why not? Kind of made me think of Donald Trump a little, like, can you imagine Donald Trump as a nun?

ogun

Post by ogun on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:22 pm

I probably waited a bit too long before I got hauled in to find out what was up. Trouble for me is that I never get sick, I can't even put a date to the last time I was actually down and out because of some malaise or another. If every one in the world has some flu or something I'll be wandering about with maybe the sniffles at most. So if my other half hadn't haul my ass to a doctor because she got tired of watching me get out of bed to make it as far as the couch before I'd sit down and sleep for the day so I could have enough energy to get back to bed at night I doubt I'd still be alive. I didn't even have enough sense to realize I was really really sick.
    Personally I think she just got tired of me being in her way all day. If I had just gone outside and laid under a tree and died she would've been happy as long as I was out of the way. But not on the couch! 
    By the time I got poured in the car for the trip to the hospital though I didn't care where I died as long as it was in some kind of peace damn it.

I've some friends that have tried to tell me how draconian nuns were in their catechism classes or the catholic schools they attended but I could never relate myself. I would've walked out long before I allowed myself to be subjected to some of things I've heard them talk about. Even before my parents divorced they quit taking me to church when they (and the rest of the family) went. I believe it was because Sunday School teaches got tired of me asking stupid and/or uncomfortable questions. So me and dog had late Sunday mornings all to our selves. Shrug, I was happy with that arrange just fine.

Listening to the trumpkof ugh.  Have you ever been able to actually to get all the way though one of his addresses? I swear  I've been out with valley girl types that make more sense then that twit. Listening to trumpkof  is like a cross between the valley girl and some institutionalized insane patient. Each individual sentence almost makes some sense but the next sentence has no connection to the one that came before and it all comes out with as much meaning as a half remembered bit of pyscho-babble that one might experience on waking from some dream. 
    I guess the jokesters of today are having a fun free-for-all not to be missed feast. It must be like shooting fish in a barrel for them folk. My self it's hard to find much funny about him, it would only serve to somehow make him, ah like you know, normal.
    A trumpkof joke.
    Two hunters head into the woods and.......
    One of them trips over, he's not breathing and his eyes have rolled back into their sockets. The other hunter whips out his phone and calls emergency services. The lady on the line asks what's wrong.
    "Help, help! I think my friend is dead!"says the hunter.
    "Calm down, take a breather, help will be with you shortly. First you need to make sure that he is dead"says the woman.
    There is a silence, then a gunshot Is heard. The hunter goes back on the phone and says "okay, now what?"
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:46 am

Luckily you had someone whose way you were in, at least.  In my case someone will just have to come clean up the rotting corpse. 

When it comes to getting through a Trump spiel of any kind, the only two presidents whose voices I could stand to hear in my life were JFK's and Obama's.  But I must say, Trump's is now the worst of all.  Even Bush's fake Texas accent was more palatable.  I figure if something Trump says is important to know about, I can read the transcript.

Now that's a pure Trumpkoff move if I ever heard one.  Make sure he's dead indeed.

By the way, I think nuns are less humane and much tougher than Trump, given what I've heard from my Catholic friends who went to Catholic school.  I don't think he could cut it if he came back as a nun.

ogun

Post by ogun on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am

I've found out this pneumonia business isn't anything to just sneeze at. We've had a lot of damage from this past winter. So following that, clean up has to start sooner or later and as there's so much we'll probably still be at it come fall I duly headed toward the task this weekend as I was feeling fine and all. Whew, fifteen or twenty minutes of work always resulted in 30 or 40 additional minutes of hacking, splitting up phlegm and trying to regain my breath along with another hour or so of waiting to feel something close to my normal strength again. Hey, this is no fun guys.
    Don't know how lucky I am Ren. Myself I feel better knowing that if something happens to me my other half might be there to tend to my dog as she'll be the only one who'll have a chance to save his life because anyone else will have to kill him to get close to me if I'm in trouble, dead or dying. And truthfully I'm not even sure if she'd be able but she's a definite maybe and the best option. I'd rather die than wake up to find they killed Strider to save my life. That's no joke, it's the truth. 
    He deserves better than that kind of end.

Yeah, from what I understand nuns had or perhaps for all I know still have a rather predetermined outlook of life and how one should live it. So yep, trumkof certainly doesn't cut any of that mustard. Any new idea thrown into that empty vessel is just acted upon without thought. He might be the final joke of this absurdity we've been calling civilization for the last few thousand years.
    How funny is that? After all the promise the human has flashed through the ages we kinda just wink out of existence holed up within a teeny tiny bubble of greed.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:32 pm

I want another dog in my life but you've just stated the reasons why I won't allow myself the privilege.  I can't stand the idea that I couldn't make sure he or she had the care I feel a dog deserves if I die.  At this point I have a friend who's 18 years younger than me and he expects me to take his dogs if he dies, which he could, he has high blood pressure, sugar diabetes and he's almost a hundred pounds overweight.  I don't have anyone I feel I can count on.

So you named yours after that horse in the story I take it?

Crazy Dog was my last.

ogun

Post by ogun on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 am

One never can really be sure how things will work out of course, but I had a pretty good idea about what Strider was and what he wasn't when I picked him out. When he was a pup quite a few people would make the mistake of what he is. They rarely do now .[/URL]
    [/URL]
    He's not one to mess about with or underestimate. In many ways he's more than I even bargained for.
    His actual name is Aragorn, aka Strider. (J. R. Tolkien)

I know where you're coming from Ren and it makes me sad to say this one is probably my last dog I'll rise from a pup into this world. But I don't know if I can bear not having a dog with me so what I likely do is pick up an older dog from someplace out there in the slaughter house of humanity. After all the world is filled with misunderstood dogs of the wrong color.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:32 am

I think about that.  Plenty of unwanted, misunderstood dogs out there.  It's like the whole natural world to me now.  I wish I could take care of it, protect it from humans.  I have the same feeling about that as I do about all the dogs that need a friend that I could be.  It's not a good feeling.

Handsome dog, Strider.  He looks very much self aware.

I didn't pick Crazy Dog, aka Jacques, after Jacques Ellul, I was still in mourning from the loss of Max, my Doberman of 12 years.  Doberman's are another misunderstood bunch.  A friend of mine picked him because he was supposed to be one quarter wolf. He wanted a dog but he had no business with them.  No consciousness for it.  So Jacques ended up with me (he was still just a pup, about four months old) when my friend went off on one of his trips to Bali or some such.  He would go on trips for several months at a time, obviously he had no business with a dog.  It was clear when he came back who Jacques had chosen.

The other three quarters was lab.  He was taller and lankier than a lab, very muscular and he weighed an even hundred pounds.  He could take care of himself.  Had tremendous self confidence.  We would walk all over the woods around here every day, which stretch for miles from the back of my property, without having to cross a road, often walking ten miles or more.  I never worried about the coyotes, the bears, and him.  Coyotes especially can be deadly to domesticated dogs, but I think the wolf in him plus his size kept them at bay. He learned not to mess with the elk, which at first he wanted to chase. But they don't run like the deer do. I would just walk where I felt like going and he knew where I was all the time.  Sometimes I wouldn't see him for an hour but I could trust that he was always aware of where I was, no matter what trail I took. 

We had a heart-wrenching good bye.  He loved life.  I miss that.

ogun

Post by ogun on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 am

Ah yeah, handsome dog. He is all of that for sure. His nature though........ one isn't really friends with him if that makes any sense. It's almost like he either accept you as one of his possessions or you're an outsider wanting to take what's his. The hardest thing about a dog like Strider is trying to show him that you know more about this particular artificial world we live in than he does and gaining his trust on that matter.

Likening the way the human species considers the dog to the how the natural world is treated at large makes a nice turn towards the much bigger picture. While we humans have closer relatives within the wild kingdom, I'm not sure we have a closer friend to connect us to that kingdom than the plain ordinary dog.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 am

For me that's always been true... not a closer friend to connect me to nature, maybe just my own nature, the dog.

ogun

Post by ogun on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 am

Don't know if you meant to be self-deprecating in some way by comparing yourself to a dog. 
    As for myself I put the soul (the essence) of the dog on quite a high pedestal. High enough that I would choose a dog over almost all the people I've met in my life for which one deserves more consideration.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 am

Same for me.  I think dogs are very pure and special individuals.  Not many humans make it past their greed and other less enhancing attributes to that.

ogun

Post by ogun on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 am

Time for a joke anyone?

Pat: Mike, I'm calling you from the freeway on my new cell phone.
    Mike: Be careful Pat. They just said on the radio that there's a nut driving the wrong way on the freeway.
    Pat: One nut? Hell, there are hundreds of them!
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am

Lol, I actually very nearly ran into one of those nuts one rainy Sunday evening on my way down I94 into Detroit.  He was clearing the road as he went, and I went off into the median.

ogun

Post by ogun on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:56 am

Good one.  That fits the larger theme of this site as I imagined it.  I just read this morning that global atmospheric CO2 levels have reached 410 ppm.  The last time there was that much CO2 in the atmosphere the ecological mix of species adapted to the climate with those levels of CO2 were quite different than they are now.  The science that tells us that has had a very brief moment in our human history.  The knowing of it is, therefore, barely a blip of consciousness in the entire biological history of this planet.  Meanwhile today's human species favors the moral and ethical intelligence of leadership like Donald Trump's.  I don't believe this is going to end well.
    dleet86

Post by dleet86 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 pm

https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/07/11/the-lonely-city-olivia-laing/ The art of being alone could've been posted under the Art title but it is also Bubble related.
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:03 am

And you wake up with the stars
    Fallin' down around your ears.
    And when they hit the ground,
    They're nothin' but stones
    That's how you learn to live alone.
    That's how you learn to live alone.

ogun

Post by ogun on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 am

For me all art comes from a place where I'm alone. I'd extend that to all artists but I can't because I don't know where they go so I won't speak for any others.
    Myself though, it doesn't matter if I'm attending a seminar or taking a class from some renown everyone present seems to retreat to a bubble of aloneness when the time comes to explore.

The feeling of isolation and desolation though is much different sort of aloneness. Then one is left with nothing to grasp onto, no compass to follow and shifting bearings that are only mirages on a distant horizon. 

"That path is for your steps alone...............
    if I knew the way, I would take you home" (Garcia and Hunter)
    Ren's View
    Admin

Post by Ren's View on Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 am

I have long maintained there's a vast difference between being alone, in solitude, and being lonely.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 am