An extension of Watching Apocalypse

Discussion expectations and guidelines

Ren's View
    Admin

Discussion expectations and guidelines

Post by Ren's View on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:51 am

Greetings, and welcome.

I don't really have expectations of anyone.  That's just a ruse to get someone to read this.  It's more like hope.  I hope we can get along.  Expectations imply the possibility of control.  While I do have some control over the software of this site, as administrator, I have no control over how people think. Nor do I want any. That's no fun.  Of course, control over the software does have its possibilities for playing games with people who want to get nasty with others, but I'd rather not go there.  Guidelines are, well, something I hope we can work out together.

I have no desire to set rules nor enforce them.  My preference is to engage with others who are willing to be open minded to different ways of looking at whatever is being discussed.  I have no interest in enforcing any ideas I may have about something on someone, let alone in telling someone they can't believe what they want, or can't express what they want as an idea of their own.  I believe each of us must make our own decisions about what we choose to believe is the actual world we live in. That means if I'm crazy, I have a right to be crazy and not locked up or beat up or put down like a mad dog for my craziness. I believe humans are inherently subjective and that subjectivity is both extremely complex and personal.

Nevertheless, this is my forum.  If I can tolerate a lot of different behaviors, that does not mean I expect others to be willing to do so.  Therefore, the degree of disagreement and abuse that may unfold will be something I have to take into consideration as this dialogue evolves over time.  I won't pretend to be able to anticipate every possible variation of ego abuse that some may experience.  But when such abuse appears, then I will make some effort to moderate it and help find ways through for all parties.  That's the best I can promise at the moment.

As a general guideline, I'd like to suggest something I ran across years ago and have been trying to put into practice in my own discussions with others, even if I'm the only one trying.  It's not something I would every try to say "works."  But the suggested attitude of openness and listening has been for me, in whatever limited way I am able, an ever opening experience.  

That something I'm referring to is the Bohmian Dialogue.  I first became acquainted with David Bohm towards the end of a mind-opening book of compiled talks by J. Krishnamurti back in the early Seventies: The Awakening of Intelligence.  The "intelligence" Krishnamurti was hoping to awaken was not the same as the intelligence that our education system attempts to measure, and I very much appreciated that perspective, because it spoke to something deep within that had been rebelling against those IQ measurements and what I saw them doing to all of us if we took them seriously and judged each other accordingly.  The Bohmian dialogue process follows that rebellion against that measurable form of intelligence and offers some ways of communicating that can help by pass the rigidity of classifying someone as more or less intelligent before bothering to listen and actually hear what they may have to say.

I do not hold that it is, by any means, necessary for anyone to bother getting acquainted with Bohm's dialogue process.  But I am going to be presenting and discussing my own ideas with "Dialogue in the Spirit of David Bohm" and, I will add, the "spirit of Krishnamurti" in mind.  Here are some ways to get acquainted with it:

On Dialogue by David Bohm.  This is a pdf version of a 16 page essay David Bohm wrote discussing his idea of communicating in an open minded and communication-centered, rather than idea focused way.  It's kind of an introduction to his broader, more complex thoughts on the topic as he presents it in a book of the same name.

On Dialogue  A pdf version of the full book, by David Bohm.  It's mercifully brief, just over a  hundred pages.

The Dialogues can be found at The Bohm-Krishnamurti Project.

Also, I just want to add that I'm here to have some fun.  Kind of like, let's do something fun while we're waiting for godot.

Last edited by Ren's View on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding thoughts as they come to me.)

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am